View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 12, 2014, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But since TX/MA are the minority of states, it doesn't make sense for the other states to cater to them.
This got touched on in another forum and I recalled I hadn't been back to this thread.

There isn't any need to cater to anyone. If Fed rules made more sense, then I'd be in favor of Texas adopting them. They won't, and Texas never will. My point is not to benefit Texas but to benefit all states. And officials. Got a game on Friday and then a college game on Saturday? Here, its easy. Someone else is running the game clock (one difference), and the conference takes care of those ejected for fighting (another difference). Small college supervisors want Texas guys spread among their crews so they can make sure that Fed rules and penalty enforcements are not injected in the college game.

I can appreciate the idea that in smaller states there are more teams crossing state lines to play games (interesting fact: Texas HS playoff game was once played in New Mexico -- obviously involving only Texas teams, but the NM location was best for both). But those states can easily get together and adopt similar exceptions to the NCAA rules. Are you really going to argue that 2 states playing modified NCAA rules are going to have more differences than what NCAA and Fed football rules have now? Whether its teams coming to Texas (or Mass) to play or vice versa, the current differences are a bigger pain in the ass than what would happen in going all NCAA. In fact, there would probably be a "model" HS football rules exception code that most states would adopt with perhaps a few changes.

What football rules exceptions does Fed allow states to make now? Also, is there a specific 8 man football book, or are there exceptions in the Fed book for 8 man? What about 6 man? What if a state wanted to go coed and have rules differences?