View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 09, 2014, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I do think, however, that the question that was asked did not question that it was a shooting foul, just that the shift to the left hand ended the motion and the try negating the subsequent made basket.
That was indeed the point. The decision is between awarding two FTs or the basket and 1 FT. Declaring this to not be a foul in the act of shooting at all was never a thought.

Upon review of the video, it appears that the player collected the rebound with his right arm, brought the ball into both hand and jumped to shoot, was fouled, and then removed his right hand/arm from the ball and finished the attempt with his left hand. I'm fine with this particular play being judged continuous motion and the basket counting.

Another discussion which we can have would be if the player went up with the ball only in his right hand, was fouled, and then switched it to his left hand before releasing the try. Someone else mentioned the famous Jordan play, which would be a good visual for this action. Should this be considered continuous motion or a new try after being fouled during a previous attempt (or perhaps while not in the act of shooting at all). That's the academic debate this play made me consider.