Thread: Traveling ?
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 07, 2014, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd41flpk View Post
In summary, I see now how the rule is interpreted....

Allow me to clarify, in the 1st two scenarios, the ball was released 'prior' to the pivot foot being released. Hence, as was last posted by Camron Rust ( thank you ) if the ball DOES NOT hit the floor ( i.e. bounce ) then this is considered a travel/illegal dribble ! However, if the ball has hit the floor, then A1 can LEGALLY commence a dribble.

However, in scenarios 1 and 2 can A1 legally retrieve the ball - i.e retain possession w/o commencing a 'dribble'?
In #1, the mere act of catching the ball before it hits the floor is a violation. The NFHS has waffled on whether it is a travel or an illegal dribble but both rules could easily apply. Note that there is an exception for a player tossing the ball into the air and catching it WITHOUT moving their pivot foot.

In #2, the action is actually a dribble and they may retrieve the ball. If they do so by catching the ball, they may not dribble again since they already used the dribble. If they retrieve the ball by "continuing" with a dribble, they are legal.