View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 28, 2003, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Say what???

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonewolf986

4) SELL THE CALL in the first place.

Selling the call works but only if the umpire has gained the respect of the players and coaches. I work with young umpires that get chewed for calls that if I as a veteran make the same call no one says a word.

5) Call TIME if you feel you want to ask your partner, meet up with your partner, and act like you're "discussing"...then stick with your call. Sometimes coaches will just be happy with you "asking for help"

That's the dumbest thing I've read from an umpire in a long time. What do you mean "act like your discussing the call"???

I'm an umpire not an actor. If there is a question we WILL discuss the call and we will make the best interpretation based on the rules and then we will let the teams know what the result is.

Pretending on a baseball field will end up getting an umpire in huge trouble, and with a last name called "Smitty."

6) If you got it wrong, live with it, the only way you will improve is if you allow yourself to LEARN from the mistakes you made! A very good point you make!

Whether is be positioning, knowledge of the rules, or even the controversial strike zone!

and what's the controversial strike zone. Its a strike if I call it a strike. If I don't its a ball.

Now thats not very controversial is it?? (g)

Thanks
David