Thread: Instant Replay.
View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
If it's that important to get it right, why not make replay available throughout the game? There was a play down in the post where the ball went off the Arizona player as he made a spin move and they gave Arizona the ball back. That wasn't reviewable because it didn't happen under 2 minutes. Something that's reviewable in the last 2 minutes ought to be reviewable in the first 2 minutes.
Replay rules are always a give and take between getting the call right versus the flow of the game. No one cares about the OOB call at the 10:00 mark in the first half...not enough to hold the game up for any significant period of time. In the final two minutes, with possessions at a premium, that extra possession means a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I am more than an "old timer" I am a "bald old geezer". The game is played by humans. It is coached by humans. And it is officiated by humans. If one could put Google Glasses on each officials, I would bet dollars to donuts that the officials will grade out significantly higher than the players and coaches. In fact, I would bet dollars to donuts that they would grade out at well over 95%.

But the point is, if it takes over five minutes or longer to make a decision over an out of bounds call and all of the close one must be reviewed in the last two minutes of the second half and each OT period, and all the replay does is show that the officials are correct in almost 100% of the times and the one in the Wisconsin-Arizona game was a toss up, how does that improve the game?

MTD, Sr.
Not close to 100 percent of the time..not on OOB calls that are bangers...you (well not you because you don't watch the NBA) will see these type of plays (bangers) changed enough times that it's not rare.

And let's not act as if 5 minutes for an OOB replay is typical. Should they maybe tweak the system so that there's a time limit to the review? Sure. Take replay out of the game? You're living in a dream world.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.