View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 13, 2014, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john5396 View Post
By the letter of the rules, the ump in your game was correct. Only specific calls from the umpire make the ball dead, like "Time", "Foul", "Balk (NFHS)". Other communications like "strike", "ball", "out", Fair (pointing not verbal), and many others do not create a time out.

That said as others have indicated since "everyone" had it wrong, the better course given the level of play, would be for the umpire would probably have been to call "Time" and put the players back where they belong.
I agree with your result but not your reasoning. The umpire crossed the line when he told the defense what to do. HE put the offense in jeopardy. He must rectify that. If the ball is going to remain live, he cannot influence play by telling the defense not to leave the field.

(And heck, he also put the defense in jeopardy by telling the offense it was still live - had events after him butting in evolved differently, his announcement to each team what they should do during a live ball could have aided the offense instead...)

Once he told EITHER team what to do during a live ball, he has to kill it. At ANY level.

West Houston Mike