View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 07, 2014, 12:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
My mistake. I must have misread the article and got the impression handshakes were mandated in Illinois. I'm glad officials aren't required to stand around and watch.

Regardless, do we really need these post-game handshake lines? I remember living pretty well without them back in the Dark Ages. To your point, Jeff, if they're going to have them security has to get on the floor when the game ends. What is the law enforcement requirement at games? In NYC we can't start - or continue a game once it has started - if a school safety officer isn't in the gym. SSOs are unarmed members of the NYPD.
It is seen as good sportsmanship, but no where is it required to do. If a team does not do it, it would be founded upon for sure. But nothing can be done to anyone outside of maybe the State Finals.

Also I also know of no security or police presence required. But obviously when you have hundreds or thousands of people, it would be nice to have some police presence. It is up to each school or community to decide how much it matters to them. But I would think two teams in the same community (not where the game was hosted BTW) and rivals on some level, you would be prepared for a rowdy crowd on some level. Most of the time nothing happens, but it is not out of the question if a fight occurs.

Peace