View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 06, 2014, 11:31pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
What I failed to make clear in that post is that I believe the size difference can make slight contact, which may not be enough to draw a foul, look like more. Which could be what is going on here.

I see it more in lower level games, where some kids grow fast while others grow slowly, so you end up with kids that weight significantly more than others. So contact between the two may look like a whale, but in reality the contact comes from legal play between two players.

Still not sure I follow your logic on this. The level of contact, across the spectrum from slight to severe, has no bearing on whether or not a foul has been committed. If the contact affects a players RSBQ or causes them to be displaced from a legally obtained position, it is a foul. In some cases, the contact might be slight and also constitute a foul and in other cases, the contact could be severe and be legal. Under no circumstance is it acceptable to use the size of the players involved to determine if contact is legal/illegal.