View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 26, 2014, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I could have sworn that getting down to five players was one of the few exceptions to the "sit a tick" rule. Are you sure about this Nevadaref?

If my memory serves me, and it usually doesn't, the play involved a free throw. Team A has six eligible players. Before B1 shoots the first of a one and one, A6 substitutes for A1. B1 makes the first free throw, but while attempting to get a rebound, A2 is injured and can no longer participate. A1, who hasn't "sat a tick" (the clock never started) reports to replace the injured A2. I could have sworn that the substitution for the injured player was allowed because "playing with five trumps sitting a tick".

I would appreciate further discussion on this, hopefully with some closure.
No rule ever trumps another! The rules work together, not in conflict with each other.
You recall the Case Book play correctly. It was also MTD's argument when submitting it that the provision to play with five should "trump" the substitution rule requiring a just exited team member to not return until after the clock has properly started. Unfortunately, the NFHS rules editor at the time bought his silliness because she was never a strong rules person.

The correct ruling is that this is one of the times when a team temporarily plays with fewer than five. At the next stoppage in play after the clock has run either team member would be eligible to enter. I refer you to the asthma attack interp which predates MTD's case play.

SITUATION 9: Team A is playing with five players, but has no substitutes available when one of the players has an asthma attack. The coach is beckoned onto the floor. Must the player leave the game? May Team A continue with four players? May the player return after recovering from the asthma attack? RULING: A team may continue with fewer than five when there are no substitutes available. The injured/ill player leaving the game may return if/when he or she is able. (3-1-i)

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Feb 26, 2014 at 02:44am.