View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PSidbury
"Please tell me what we need to do?"

And then you have this psuedo-sincere, maybe-rhetorical, type of question from a coach that is not really a question the referee can answer.
This coach question usually follows a call(s) the coach disagrees with, but yet he doesn't ask for clarification on the specific call.

Internally, I am thinking "Coach, you may want to score more," or "Coach, you may want to stop fouling," or "Coach, you may want to get more athletic players," but we all know those are only quippy retorts and not diplomatic, heady answers.

And you would think a 12yr varsity coach is posing a rhetorical question... (to bait or plead?)... but when he politely getsin your ear and respectfully asks, "Please tell me what we need to do?"
The only diplomatic answer I can give him is "Coach, that's not really a referee question."

So... quippy, smart-alec, retorts aside, and in whatever context seems relevant for a coach to ask, "Please tell me what we need to do?"
What is your answer?

Also, what other coach questions have you heard that fall into this ambiguous, rhetorical category, yet coach is asking in a very sincere, imploring manner that requires some type of answer?

Thanks,
Paul