View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
IMHO ... you "want" too much. You should not "want" a T to decide (or not to decide) a game. Too many people consider calling a T as a different act from calling a foul. It's not. Call the game. If his stare-down warranted a T (I doubt it did ... but this is your call, not mine) - then call it. If his flipping of a clipboard in anger warranted a T (after the stare - I'm thinking it did, but again, it's your call) - then call it. If him giving you the name of his favorite deity warranted a T (especially in addition to the other two acts), call it.

Don't fail to call it because you didn't want it to decide the game any more than you would fail to call a travel because you didn't want it to decide the game.

If coach decides to get a T with his team down 6 and 5.1 seconds remaining - that's on him. HE cost his team the opportunity to somehow finish this miracle comeback --- not you.

PS - it's not the swear word (usually) that warrants a T (imho) - it's the manner, the attitude, etc - and it's who it's directed at.
This. He decided, not you. That being said, you are a first year official and you learned a valuable lesson about game awareness. There are those who say game awareness is not our problem. The coach needs to be more vocal, etc. Yep. Him being more vocal would have helped, but game awareness is so important. In that spot, when the ball tickled twine my eyes as trail go to the clock, then immediately to the coach. Visiting coach? This may be a time back on the clock situation Home team calls TO in that spot, the clock is probably already stopped! game awareness.

Last edited by biggravy; Wed Feb 12, 2014 at 11:11pm.