View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 22, 2003, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Stealing

Quote:
Originally posted by BratzCoach
[As a 10U coach, I'm not sure what the kids are learning if stealing is allowed. Most of the kids are seeing live pitching for the first time (unless the league has a Pixie or 9U div). Most of my kids are fresh out of instructional league (some of them didn't even get that--they're playing for the first time!!) , and many of them are still figuring out the basics of which base to throw to, and when to do it.

So I'd prefer not to throw too much at them in their first year. It can be overwhelming, and then they learn nothing.
I think you are underestimating them. When my daughter started at 10U, in the early part of the season (which here lasts for only 2 - 2 1/2 months), the winner of any game was determined by which team actually got 3 outs in a half inning (run limits per inning). By the end of the season, they were playing good defense (for 10U) and other teams only reached the run limit when the team had one of those 10U "bad innings."

Sure, the early season games are painful, but it is also amazing and gratifying to see the progress in just a few weeks.

If you don't challenge them with skills they need to master, they won't master them.