View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
I usually say "pick a spot" rather than "hold your spots" as it is technically more correct. I'm saying this to give notice that I am ready to toss the ball and the jump ball restrictions are in place. After "picking a spot", any legal movement is permitted.

Regarding "Let it hit the rim" ... I almost never say anything, but if I feel like a reminder is needed, I simply say "Let it hit". "Let it hit the rim" in incorrect as the ball hitting the backboard would end the restrictions.

Regarding the original post ... I came up two possible reasons why this could be illegal.
1) Are they changing positions around the center restraining circle? [Anyone know of a case play/definition that explains clarified what "around the restraining circle means? Is it 3 feet as in the OP? I can't find it.]
2) Are they taking a position in an occupied space?
caseplay:

6.3.2 SITUATION:

The referee is ready to toss the ball to start the game. (a) A1 who was on the center restraining circle backs off; (b) B1 moves onto the *restraining circle into an unoccupied spot; (c) B2 moves off the circle and goes behind A2 and is within 3 feet of the circle; or (d) B3 moves off the circle about 5 feet and moves around behind A3 and A4 who are occupying spaces on the *circle.

RULING: Legal in (a) and (d), but a violation in both (b) and (c). Moving off the restraining circle in (a), and around the circle when more than 3 feet away as in (d), is permissible. It is a violation to move onto the circle as in (b), until the ball leaves the official's hand, or into an occupied space as in (c), until the ball is touched. The violation by B results in a throw-in for Team A. (4-3)