View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 20, 2003, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by sabattis

n working a 2-man umpiring crew under major league rules, is there ever a situation when the Base Umpire, upon request by the offense, should ask for help from the Plate Umpire when the call was clearly a judgment call of the responsibility of the Base Umpire? If so, when? For example, the Base Umpire is in B position with 2 outs and runners on 1st and 3rd. The pitcher throws in an attempt to pick off the runner at 3rd. Obviously, the base umpire needs to make a call (say “out” in this case) – however, if the offense asks the base umpire for “help” (that is, ask the Plate Umpire if he saw anything different), should the Base Umpire ask the Plate Umpire for “help?”

A year or 2 ago Carl Childress (who doesn't post very much thse days) posted his infamous "FAB V" on which calls can be corrected and those that can't. I'm at work and don't have the list with me, but if you like send me a private E-mail and I will "resurrect" the list.

I found it Here's the list.

The FAB 5 (When calls may be legally changed)

1. Half swing called a ball changed to strike. (OBR 9.02c CMTs 1, 2, 3)

2. Two umpires make opposite calls on the same play. (common sense: only one can be accepted)

3. An umpire misapplies a rule. (9.02b/c)

4. Home run changed to double, vice versa; fair to foul, vice versa on balls hit out of the park. (professional practice)

5. "Out" called on a tag play, but the ball falls free, and another umpire observes it. (JEA 9:15-16)

The Terrible Three (Three times a call CANNOT be legally changed after it's made)

1. Swipe tag
2. Force play (or play on BR at first)
3. Fielder on/off the bag

As Garth mentioned, there is no Unamous concensus on this so my recommendation is:

Try all the methods and see for yourself. It's like trying to get a good plate stance. Experiment with them all and then decide which one works best for your.

In General, I do not think any one of us wants to get the call Wrong, however, there are times when we simply must "eat" the call and learn from it. Also, let's face it we are human and we will get some calls wrong.

From my experience, once you start changing calls or constantly looking for your partner to help you makes for a LOOOONG afternoon. Once a coach knows he has you rattled or unsure of yourself he / she will be all over you the ENTIRE game and on just about every close call he /she will want you to check with your partner.

Attend some mechanics training and learn to get into the best position possible which in a 2 Person system means sacrifice distance for angle.

Pete Booth

[Edited by PeteBooth on Jun 20th, 2003 at 02:08 PM]