View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 12:34am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Did you ever play competitive basketball? If so, how many times did you slow down when in pursuit of the ball because you were afraid of a backcourt violation? Especially when the defensive team is in pursuit as well, trying to get the ball and start a fast break. My guess would be none after 6th grade when your coach told you to get the ball and not worry about a backcourt violation. The reasoning behind this new mechanic is a load of crap. Players were not slowing down their pursuit of the ball before this mechanic and they are not waiting to see if we give this signal now, before they decide whether or not to pursue the ball.

Additionally, you are going to look like a real dumbass if you use this mechanic too early and it turns out that the ball does actually end up in the backcourt having last touched the offensive team and you then have to call a violation.
What are respectful way to respond to a genuine inquiry.

To answer your question.. yes, I played through high school. However, I'm not going to expect every player to play the game the same way I did. And seeing as how I wasn't that good, I would hope for their sake that they don't play the game the same way.

And you know what they say about assuming, right? Not to mention the saying "expect the unexpected"?

If you don't want to CYA because you think the chances of something happening are "none", then that's your prerogative. But don't look down on me because I do.

BTW, if the offense touches the ball before it goes into the backcourt, after it has touched the defense and I have given the signal, then they should know it. Add emphasis on the word "should" if you wish. Kind of the same-difference, isn't it?