View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 11:34pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I can't tell the offense if they can go into the backcourt until I'm sure that the ball was tipped and the defense was the last to touch the ball in the frontcourt...if you simply do it on the deflection, the offense could still be the last to touch the ball in the frontcourt...and then they're going to see you doing your signal...then going to be confused when you (hopefully ) call the violation.

In almost every backcourt type call, the ball is going to gain a backcourt status before the offense would do any type of holding up.
I can see the offense running to the ball which is headed towards the backcourt, and slowing up because they know there's a good chance they will end up in the backcourt once they touch it. And while slowing up, the defense has a chance to get to the ball first... knowing that whether they touch it or not there will not be a violation on them.

I know this scenario may not be likely, and signalling sooner could cause confusion, but I'm just trying to see things from all angles.