View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I filled in on a MS game 3 years ago at the last minute.

I showed up the way I always do. With a bag and dressed nicely. The only change I made was I showed up 30 minutes before game time instead of an hour.

There was nobody in the gym and the gym was dark.

When someone finally came along, they couldn't understand why I needed a room to change. "All of our refs come dressed to ref."

Le sigh. Not even sure I checked the book, come to think of it.

That said, I had fun that day once we finally got it going. My partner, BTW, showed up dressed with about 90 seconds left before game time.
Around here, for MS games it's quite common (and accepted) that officials show up dressed (this goes for basketball, football, baseball, softball, and volleyball - that I know of). In many cases, the game times are scheduled such that officials with normal jobs cannot make them early enough to change at the site.

And honestly, the "arriving 90 seconds before tip" happens at that level way more than I'm comfortable with. I do remember working one MS football game where I was the only one there at game time --- coaches said start it up (there were 3 games that night) so I did - with assistant coaches working wings. Partner one showed up about 5 minutes into the first quarter; partner two just after the 2nd quarter started.

Varsity and JV (all sports) - officials do it "right"... Freshman and MS, not so much.

West Houston Mike