View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Doesn't using the correct mechanic signify the umpire saw the infraction?
Not necessarily. Obstruction is one of those plays that can occur (and almost will definitely occur) without the ball. When it comes to runners running the bases and the ball not near them, most people don't pay attention to obstruction. Usually, it is only the umpire and maybe an offensive coach. Defensive team members are watching the ball more. Particularly with multiple runners on base where any of them could be obstructed by any number of defenders, it can be helpful (though not always) to point to the person who committed the infraction. That can be true on less involved plays too, like R1 stealing 2nd base and there being possible obstruction on F4, F5 or F6.

Often, the player who obstructs a runner is no where around where the obstruction occurred when it is time to make a ruling/award. Pointing to the offender and even, dare I say it, verbalizing obstruction puts people on notice.

You'll hear people make a BS argument that players will stop if you verbalize obstruction. Well, they don't stop runner or swinging when we say illegal pitch. They don't stop when we say "Early" in NCAA when a runner leaves prior to the release. I've never had a runner stop because I verbalized obstruction. And if she did, what the hell difference would it make? She's getting awarded the base(s) I think she would have made but for the obstruction anyway.