Thread: NCAA Backcourt
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 03:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Since I'm bundled up nicely in a blanket, while the polar vortex takes its toll on me, instead of going to the rule book I'm just going to ask.

I suppose my laziness is also part of the reason I'm not looking it up myself, but I digress.

Is it correct to say that the player may have FC status, since he/she jumped from the FC, but the ball didn't? For that reason you can't have a BC violation?

So in order for a BC violation to occur, the player that catches the ball would first have to pivot and put both feet on the floor in the FC. Then he/she would have to touch the division line or put a foot into the BC.

Unless he/she started dribbling while straddling the division line, in which case all three points (both feet and the ball) would have to touch the FC. Then, any of the three points would have to touch the division line or BC to violate.

Did I get it, while at the same time staying warm?
Take a look at NF Case Book 4.4.1 : If a player catches the ball with both feet on the floor, one in the frontcourt and one in the bacvkcourt, and then lifts the foot that is in the backcourt, and then puts it back on the floor in the backcourt, it is a backcourt violation.
The would apply in any case in which the ball is legally held by the player, and his/her feet are straddling the division line.