Thread: 49ers/Seahawks
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
"Problem solved" and "Game Improved" are not always the same thing.

As technology continues to improve the potential for precision, not all the potential enhancements will benefit the game. Over the past 125+ years Football (at all it's levels) has become, far and away, the most popular sport in America, and is growing elsewhere. A considerable part of that success is derived from the dynamic excitement and drama of teams dealing with and responding to the periodic element of human mistakes, by players, coaches and at times officials.

Ultimately, various technologies will likely be able to reduce, if not eliminate, a majority of these unpredictable risks. That does not automatically translate to the game being "better", more "exciting", more "popular" or more "successful".

If absolute precision is your objective, go buy yourself an XBox, or whatever new technology will give YOU absolute control over all factors of the game, but leave the game, which includes all sorts of potential human failings, to struggle along for the next 125+ years of growing success.

When something clearly isn't broken, excessive "tinkering" can cause a lot more unexpected consequences than perceived improvements.
I agree with most of this. I'm a fan of replay in general, but to think it has to make everything perfect is not a good goal.

I think the primary reason so many fans get so passionate about these calls - gambling. It has been one of the key contributors to the success of the league, and I think it has fueled the screams for perfection. This includes fantasy leagues to an extent. It's one thing if your favorite team loses a game or a chance at a championship. It's another if a team loses a game which results in a lost bet. Or a call reverses a score that would have resulted in your player not earning points that would have helped you win a championship.