Thread: Camp Feedback
View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 18, 2003, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
So, at in 95-96, There were 2 NCAA D1 Men's officials, 1 future NBA official, 2 HS Officials, 3 State Commissioners/Directors, 2 Coaches, and one unknown. It's certainly possible I've missed some of the credentials for some of them too. I couldn't tell the background of the state commissioners. They may have been coaches, officials, or neither. Even if they (and the unknown) were all coaches, that would make it 5 officials to 6 others on the committee.
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Who is on there now? What is the breakdown now? There are currently 12 committee members on the board. I know the editor is a D1 Women' Official, Mary Struckoff (from Illinois). Marty Hickman is from the State of Illinois and the IHSA Executive Director and is not an official in basketball. Maybe Hickman has officiated in the past, but he is not know in our state for that.
Actually, there are 11 and neither of these two are on the committee. Mary Struckhoff may be the editor, but she is not on the rules committee.

See: http://www.cifccs.org/Playing%20Rule...%20Minutes.pdf for the minutes of this year's NHFS Basketball Rules committee meeting.

They are,
Chair: Larry Boucher, official
Sect. 1: Bob Pugh, official
Sect. 2: Jack Baly, official
Sect. 3: Wanda Gilliland, coach
Sect. 4: Theresia Wynns, official
Sect. 5: Bill Lewis, unknown
Sect. 6: Marvin Barbee, official
Sect. 7: Gary Whelchel, official
Sect. 8: Jim Wilund, official
NFCA: Kathy McGee, coach
NFOA: Ronnie Girouard, official

Also present as guests in the rules meetings were Mary Struckhoff, Lori Brown, Ed Bilik, Peter Webb, and Bill Top. I think 3-4 of these are/were officials.

By my count of those actually on the current committee, thats 8 officials, 2 coaches, and 1 unknown. Two of the officials are new this year so it could have been only 6 last year since I'm not sure who they replaced. On several of these, I found evidence of extensive experience at respectable levels including state tournaments, college, etc.

Quote:
... but I see you missed the point. Because the entire board are not officials. You have coaches and administrators (that might have never played the game) making decisions on what is a good rule or what is not a good rule or the wording of the rules. Let us say for argument sake you have only 4 officials on the current board. That leaves 8 committee members that are not officials. So any vote, the officials can be out voted for any changes easily (if we use the hypothetical break down). And just because you have some officials on the board, does not mean that every situation is made in the best interest of the folks that have to actually enforce the rules....
That's the point of a committee. The changes impact each and every category of member. Of course, with the official representing 73% of the committe, they could run the show.

Quote:
I can hardly find an official that advocates "birddogging" for all fouls, but for some reason we still have to do it according to NF rules and mechanics.
Actually, the birddog is now officially optional. And, I know of several officials that, in the past, advocated it. I still advocate it selective use.

Quote:
If you were to even look at the NCAA Men's and Women's Committees, can you tell me how many officials are present?
I've done my homework and looked up facts...why don't you give it a try.

Quote:
I have never said there are abosolutely, no officials on the committee. But officials in my opinion cannot be making decisions with one or two members. If the majority of those are not officials, then officials are not making the decisions.
In the first group that I analyzed, the officials were the largest faction (5 Officials vs 3 State AD's vs 2 Coaches vs 1?). In all the cases you've mention, you've arbitrarily reduced their number to 4 and 1 or 2. So, by your reasoning, they would have the most influence.

Now, they are a dominant majority: 8 vs 3 others.

So, your entire argument is moot since the situation for at least the past 2-3 years has seen the officials in the majority on the committee.
~

[Edited by Camron Rust on Jun 18th, 2003 at 05:55 PM]