View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 17, 2014, 12:24pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Yep, their entire careers should end because of a single mistake.
One egregious mistake. Further, I did not say that their "careers" should end. They can go to camps next summer, prove themselves competent again, reapply, and start working their way back up from the bottom of the ladder.

Around here, these three guys would have a difficult time finding an assignment chair willing to have them work varsity basketball games for this mistake. In the college conferences I work, I can say for sure they would be removed, probably permanently, from staff for this mistake.

When I first started officiating, there was a fairly well established varsity official who made an egregious rule mistake in a game and he never worked another varsity game. Non-shooting foul called against V1. H is not in the bonus and foul by V1 is sixth team foul. V coach complains about the call and gets technical. H coach convinces referee on the game that they should get to shoot the 1 and 1 as well as 2 free throws for the T because V team now has 7 team fouls. The referee, ignoring the advice of his two partners, decided that the H coach is correct and allows H to shoot 4 free throws. The referee never worked another HS varsity game.