Thread: Lack of effort
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 15, 2014, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Mentioning it to the officials is not going to work.
A few weeks go I worked a youth league with a first year official, working his first "real" games. I asked if he wanted any pointers...and he said yes. I offered exactly two: correct "box in" position when administering front court throw-ins and blowing the whistle and signalling with a fist or open hand for a foul or violation.

He really tried...but he could not get it right most of the time. He was making calls without blowing the whistle; he was blowing the whistle but not signalling; he had no idea what to do on a throw in other than to give the player the ball.

If the scared rookie, working with a calm, patient veteran is not "getting it" in his first games.....why do you think that your "help" with the rules is going to get a better result? And as soon as you "fix" his NBA rules, you will start on something else.

I do get your intentions are good. But they are misplaced. Bob has repeated my advice: either become the assignor (so you can hire qualified officials) or become the clinician so you can train them properly. I have done both for a rec league. And if I was observing and saw a coach talk to my inexperienced high school officials about a rule or judgment, I would step in and tell them to knock it off. Our program would not tolerate it any other way. That was my job, which I did after the games.