View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
1. Fighting is not defined as a technical foul. It is defined as a flagrant act that can occur when the ball is live or dead. Read rule 4 for reference.

2. Flagrant fouls can be either personal or technical. Again, see rule 4.

3. The penalties are the same whether contact occurs or not. Two shots and the ball for the offended team. The only difference is where the ball will be put in play and who shoots the free throw. I assume the slight difference you are referring to is the fact that a player can be ejected by getting two technical fouls, but this has no bearing in this instance, because the player is going to be ejected immediately for the flagrant foul.
1 & 2: see 10-3-8 as cited by Jeff. It is pretty specific and unambiguous.

3. Who shoots the FTs is a distinct difference. With the T, anyone on the team shoots. With a personal, the offended player shoots. That could be a big difference. The throwin spot will likely be less of an issue as the location for the T throwin may or may not be an improvement in the location and, if I were a coach, I'd rather have 2 FTs by my best FT shooter with a mid-court throwin vs. 2 FTs by my worst FT shooter with a throwin under the basket.