View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 07, 2014, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Clarification from IAABO:

The item was not intended to address standing and tossing/throwing/passing the ball from one hand to another, which is legal. I am guilty of not being as clear as I had intended to be. I hope this effort clears your concern up. Very seldom do I observe a player standing and tossing/throwing/passing the ball from one hand to the other. The concern with officials and officiating is that they watch a player begin and end 4, 5, 6, 7, dribbles and do not rule a violation.....I see that on a very regular basis. The situation in the memo was intending to address the player who begins a dribble by throwing/bouncing the ball toward the opposite hand and"catches"/palms the ball, which ends the dribble.
Situation:
End of quarter & end of game...little time remaining. Team wants to consume some time prior to progressing. Usually the "point Guard" has the ball he/she:
Bends his/her knees, bends at the shoulders, instead of standing and holding the ball. Player pushes/bounces the ball from one hand to the other hand,
palms the ball, ball comes to rest in/on a hand/ (ends the dribble) should be ruled a palming violation. Player immediately he/she pushes/bounces the back to the original hand. Palms the ball. Ball comes to rest in/on the hand (ends this second dribble). At times this action continues several times. Officials simply observe and rule this illegal repeated act as being legal.