Thread: NFHS Survey
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 01, 2014, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Texas and Massachusetts get no say, no comments, no input, and no vote on NCAA rule changes.
This isn't actually true. Rogers Redding is the Secretary/Rules Editor and a former Texas HS official. The majority of football games played under NCAA rules are played in Texas high schools and jr. highs every year. While the rules are made primarily based on what the coaches on the rules committee think, there are changes Rogers has input on and he does most of the editorial changes himself. Rogers communicates with Texas HS officials -- heck, I've sent him an email. The input you speak of isn't substantial, but its a lot greater than none at all.

Honestly, how much input would a state that doesn't have a lot of football playing schools (I don't know of an example, but I'd venture somewhere between Washington state and the midwest) have in changes? To the extent this is an issue (and its not one at all), its so minor as to not worry anyone.

Quote:
with only 5 officials working just about every varsity game and in many cases 3 or 2 officials working lower level games here. Too much blocking stuff would get missed
This isn't a problem, either. Not saying that there are no 2-man games being worked with any regularity in the state (it could exist in some parts), but its rare. Games with 3 officials are by and large jr. high games where the blocking isn't very complex. As far as 5 in most varsity games, I'd have to ask: specifically what blocking stuff are you referring to, and how does the addition of deep flanks help? The kicking game at the varsity level is the biggest issue with 5 or fewer officials and I don't see how Fed rules would make this any easier.

Quote:
And NCAA rules are usually made for more advanced players
Give me an example of an NCAA rule that is intended for advanced players and not HS.