View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 16, 2003, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Block/Charge

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
So, with all of this quoted, what is the point? If the ref feels the defender has legal guarding position and the defender jumps, still facing the offensive player, and while the defender is still the the air, the offensive player moves into the path of the defender, I think the responsibility for contact goes to the offensive player. As a ref, I can see visualize a jump where legal guarding position is maintained and where it is lost (that's why we get paid - to judge the situation)!

I am not going to get hung up on whether the defender has a right to come down on a spot or not, I want to determine if legal guarding position is maintained and who is responsible for the contact.
How can a guard maintain a LGP when he jumps and leaves his vertical plane? If he does, we can throw everything out the window with regards to verticality and LGP.

You're guys are over extending the rules of a guarding position and verticality. The rule book says nothing about the shooter leaving the floor after the defender. If the defender blocks the offensive player's path and is not in a legal position, HE HAS BLOCKED.