View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 16, 2003, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Block/Charge

First and foremost I want to thank you for and interesting discussion in this thread. It has caused me think and re-think my position on this issue. There are some principles I have found that may apply to the discussion.

4-23-1 Guarding is the act of legally placing the body in the path of an offensive opponent. There is no minimum distance required between the guard and opponent, but the maximum is 6 feet when closely guarded. Every player is entitled to a spot on the floor provided such player gets there first without illegally contacting an opponent...
4-23-2 To obtain an initial legal guarding position:
a. The guard must have both feet touching the floor.
b. The front of the guard's torso must be facing the opponent.
4-23-3 After the initial legal guarding position is obtained:
a. The guard is NOT required to have either or both feet on the floor or continue facing the opponent.
b. The guard may move laterally or obliquely to maintain position, provided it is not toward the opponent when contact occurs.
c. The guard may raise hands or jump WITHIN his/her vertical plane.

There is more to the rule, and a little I have left out but I do not think that it applies to the situation. One other situation I want to cite is 10-6-2. It talks about contact between a dribbler and a defender, but what I think is interesting is the last line: "The dribbler should not be permitted additional rights in executing a jump try for goal, pivoting, feinting or starting a dribble."

So, with all of this quoted, what is the point? If the ref feels the defender has legal guarding position and the defender jumps, still facing the offensive player, and while the defender is still the the air, the offensive player moves into the path of the defender, I think the responsibility for contact goes to the offensive player. As a ref, I can see visualize a jump where legal guarding position is maintained and where it is lost (that's why we get paid - to judge the situation)! I interpret 4-23 as saying a defender can leave his/her feet, moving, and still maintain legal guarding position. The operative word is "can". It is not automatic in every case. If the defender reaches or kicks while in the air and contact is made, then I am inclined to call the foul on the defender. If the defender is not reaching and the offensive player has initiated the contact, I will lean toward a player control foul or a no-call - depending on the amount of contact or situation of the game.

I am not going to get hung up on whether the defender has a right to come down on a spot or not, I want to determine if legal guarding position is maintained and who is responsible for the contact.