View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 16, 2003, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Okay, help me out here,Jurassic or JefftheRef. Please provide the rule reference that states a an airborne player who does not/has not had the ball has a "right to land." You guys keep saying this but I can't it in the book. Where is it in the rule book? Not being argumentative but I don't see where the rules justify your point.
It's Rule 4-23-5d (from the 1999-2000 book)

Rule 4-23 (excertps) GUARDING

Guarding is the act of legally placing the body in the path of an offensive opponent.

ART.4 ...Guarding an opponent with the ball or a stationary opponent without the ball:
b. If the opponent with the ball is airborne, the guard must have obtained legal position before the opponent left the floor.

ART 5 ...Guarding a moving opponent without the ball:
d. If the opponent is airborne, the guard must have obtained legal position before the opponent left the floor.
Camron, this addresses the player with ball being airborne. I'm fully aware of those rules. What I wopuld like address is the "right to land" by an airborne defender.

From what I read, a airborne defender who contacts an offensive player outside of his vertical plane is blocking.