View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

I see this is an old post, but I had a similar situation (with one notable difference) come up the other day.

This happened between 3rd/4th quarter, but like the OP, we basically had a shot as time expired followed by an unsporting T. The difference is that we had a foul on the shooter instead of a made basket. Then, an unsporting T.

My partner and I administered both the shooting foul and the technical foul free throws in the 3rd quarter, and then went to the AP to start the 4th.

Our thinking was that the quarter had not ended because we still had free throws to administer. The case play referenced in this thread did not apply because the technical had not occurred "after the ball was dead to end the quarter" - it would be dead to end the quarter following the last free throw.

Further, (based on Rule 5.6.2) we considered the Technical to be "related activity" that had to be penalized and completed before the quarter officially ended. Since no part of any penalty carries over, we started the 4th quarter with the AP throw in.

Curious whether others agree with how we administered this.