View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 20, 2013, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

I don't understand what you expect from the officials here. He is down, the officials signal time out and call for medical staff. They don't know why he is down as players lay down injured all the time. The med staff comes and the officials leave the area to dead ball officiate. The med staff probably should have known and done something, that seems obvious after the fact.

The rule for the officials is not really for this situation when medical staff come on the scene. Its for what an official would observe from a player who is still in the game but giving off concussion signals that he didn't need treatment for at the time of the hit. The rule says that if he is directed out of the game then he can't come back. But an official needs to do that and you do that with a player you observe with the symptoms. We trust that the medical staff is going to be better prepared than we are to make judgements when they come on the scene. If I see a rb staggering around or out of it after a play that he got his bell rung but on his way back to the huddle then it is on me to look at him and make a judgement, but when a player is down on the ground it is up to the med staff to do the same.