View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 03:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
I really understand both points of view, but it's very surprising to me how many people here would do nothing simply because that little book doesn't tell us to. When/if that free throw shooter sinks the second one, and turns around and says "You got nothin on me," or some other snarky remark to the kid right behind him, do we let that go? Clearly it's his own fault, so thats fine, but is that not at least to some small degree, our own fault for doing NOTHING to de-escalate the situation? Why not try to call him over as was previously suggested? If he doesn't move, then tough, nothing we can do. For the record, I'm not implying we have to move him, I'm saying why not try to move him?
Well it is not illegal to stand behind a shooter. And because it is a rivalry game does not change the situation either unless something is said by the players standing behind the FT shooter. And even then it is not illegal in itself to speak. Yes, I would pay attention, but that is all there is to do. We do not have a rule situation to move the player arbitrarily. And if a coach told us that he we have no right, he/she would be right. If the rules makers want the player to not stand there, then they will make a rule that disallows that kind of action. But we should be careful as to doing what is not supported by rule at all.

Peace