View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 02:30pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington View Post
MTD, Sr. ~ In the scenerio above, where a player looks at a player (or official/coach) and says "F____ You" towards them I would also have a FTF, but do you actually differentiate between profane words and penalize differently whether it is an F-bomb (FTF) or other profane term (TF)? Many times I have had a player have a turnover and say "ahh F____" and I give them a TF. I can't imagine trying to justify my differentiation of words/terms other than the way it is stated.

Let me put it this way. My late father was a carpenter for 53 years and I am a retired structural design engineer and worked my way through engineering school as a construction worker. Meaning if you have straight hair, I can verbally curl it; if you have curly hair I can verbally straighten it, because I have been on construction sites all of my life and you get us to the crude language that is sometimes heard on construction sites. You get my drift.

That said, the F-word is an automatic FTF when I am calling JrHS, HS, college, and youth basketball games. That has been my position for the 43 years that I have officiated basketball and the soon to be 22 years of umpiring HS and youth baseball and fast pitch softball.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio