View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 07, 2013, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Flopping to Falling and everywhere in between.

Falling to fake a foul = Technical foul.

Players are allowed to protect themselves.

Had an interesting discussion with a coach tonight. He must have been one of the rare ones who actually reads rule books or listens when we talk. Partner and I talked about it after game and wil bring it up at next meeting.

When does falling constitute flopping? If a kid is yelling and slapping the floor and looks like a soccer player rolling around inciting the crowd then obviously if there was minimal or no contact then you could warn and/or t them up.

What if its a block charge situation and a player is getting set then just bailing out early? If they start leaning away and anticipation of contact and are basically on their way down before contact can occur and then never does, is that flopping?

I know we can't officiate intent but the kid may not be faking a foul and warning/T'ing up a kid for being soft doesn't seem like the same call.

What is your standard for "flopping"?

FYI - I've only ever been a part of two games where t's were handed out for flopping/faking fouls. One was well deserved. The other - kid had been warned earlier and and went down hard on a play where he reaches in and gets blown by. Partner t'd him up for flopping kid get up and spits a bloody tooth out on his shoe.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!