View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blueskysblue
Yea, Really. 4-4-A: "If the EP is used, the EP must be used the entire game." You have to have ten other players in the game to have an EP; therefore, if you drop to nine players, for whatever reason, the EP is not legal. Now, I'll grant you, I may not understand the intent with which this was written; but it sounds to me like to overrides the shorthanded rule, which allows a team to play with one less plus an out.
No, it does not supercede the "shorthanded" rule.

It means that the team must make it known prior to the start of the game and include the EP in the official line up. The sentence noted above means that you cannot drop the EP's position from the batting order for the sake of avoiding the shorthanded out.

As we all know, the EP is an EP, not a DP, DH, DEFO or any other designated status not included here. Extra player means just that, an extra player. Eleven/twelve may bat, but any ten play defense unless the shorthanded rule is used.