View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

In fact, you'll get yourself into nothing but trouble if you think in terms of "time of possession."

The play you described is not the same as catching the ball and then dropping it 25 steps later before you enter the dugout. In that case, you have clearly established secure possession of the ball. The play is over. The dropping came later.

But in your case, the collision with the fence and the fall are all part of the play. He has to hold on to the ball for the entire play to prove secure possession.

Length of time is really not relevant. When the shortstop catches a throw for a force out at 2B and then drops the ball a split second later, the out stands if the drop came on the next play (the attempt to throw to 1B for the DP). But an outfielder might have the ball in his glove for several seconds and then drop it for a "no catch." This happened at Wrigley field last year when the center fielder caught the ball, hit the fence two steps later, stumbled back in toward the field, fell, and dropped the ball. No catch, though the ball was probably in his glove for 3 or 4 seconds.

I had one last year where the center fielder ran in to his right, speared the ball backhanded, and then stumbled about 5 steps, all the while trying to regain his balance, until he fell and finally dropped the ball. No catch.

However, I heard the usual "He had the ball for 3 seconds, ump!"

[Edited by greymule on Jun 12th, 2003 at 12:52 PM]