View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

"This is the first time I have felt compelled to respond to one of the posted responses. I am suprised that this hostile and offensive attack on a coach, following the coach's reasonable frustration and respectful attempt at correcting an umpire who made an important mistake about a basic rule, (and then the coach was treated disrespectfully by the ump) was not met with apologies by other less , more respectful umpires that use this forum"

AND YOU GOT SNOOKERED TOO. TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT THE FOLLOWING QUOTES MADE IN THIS ORIGINAL THREAD AND POINT OUT TO ME WHERE A "RESPECTFULL" ATTEMPT TO COMMUNICATE WITH THE UMPIRE TOOK PLACE.

"He tells me bases must be loaded on a dropped third strike for him to be called out. I said no...you've got to be kidding."

"I pulled out my OBR rule book start turning for rule 6. He then tells me to leave the field."

"we complain that he should have called him out long before he did."

"And then the BU was that laziest guy out there...wouldn't move to make a call...missed three obvious outs at third base that even thier base coach grimaced from"

This is not how you gain respect on ANY field of play.

In a latter thread he stated "I talked to the offical between innings and I said "Look man I know this is a rough job. And I'm sure you are doing your best and we appreciate it. I realize you will muff some calls, but when you do could you try to fix things?" He appreciated my understanding and admitted that he could have fixed it...I think that is pretty respectful after the fact".

Better attempt this time , but why wasn't this approach used right from the begining? Do you realize how many games we do where the coach trys to play the "Good guy, bad guy game". Your their friend, right up to the point that something doesn't go their way. When they win everthing is chummy, when they lose, we are the *******s. And truly, what is the message the coaches are sending to the players they are overseeing. DISRESPECT Isn't that more harmful than the outcome of the game?

I have coached for 10 years and officiated two sports (Baseball and Ice Hockey) for close to 20 years. I'm proud to say that I can count on my one hand the number of coaches I've tossed in the last 2 years, over 500 contests.
I may have been a little tough on the coach but, this is an "Officials Forum". The gentleman was venting. He already knew how to handle the situation the right way, by his own admission.

Now you may consider this as having an "Attitude", that is your right. I consider it as having the savy to see and tell things as they really are. That is my right.

Thank you

Jim