View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

What do you call a Medical Student that graduated with the worst grades in school? Doctor.

The same goes for officials, coaches and players in athletic events. Some are more conversant with the rules, better game management skills, etc. than others.

Obviously there were better ways to have handled the situations cited in this thread than what actually occured.

From my own experiences, I have learned that when a rule is in question, and it's difficult or impossible to protest, a better course of action is to tell the coach, "Maybe I've got it wrong but that's what I'm ruling. I'll check my rule book after the game so I'll get it right the next time." (Or something to that effect anyhow.)

I have also allowed a coach in one instance (who actually was more aware of the rule than I was) to calmly bring out his rule book and show me the rule. He knew the exact reference and where to find it; so there was no delay of game and a problem was quickly averted. (Had to do with a DH being required to bat one time before being replaced by a pinch hitter.)

Hopefully in the instances in this thread, the umpire(s) now have learned something from the experience and can go on. And the coaches too.