Thread: Run scores?
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 22, 2013, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Daily trivia (ASA): Bases loaded, 2 outs. The batter is walked, and she advances to 1st. The runner from 1st touches 2nd but oversteps the base, and a quick throw from the infield catches her for the 3rd out. She was tagged before the runner from 3rd touched home. Does the run count?

I know we've hashed this before... I need proof (or I need you to prove I'm wrong ... hopefully not that one though!)
The interpretation is really simple. The NFHS & NCAA interpretation actually changes long standing rule of the game simply to cover stupidity on the bases.

Runners are not awarded bases on a walk, the batter is. The ball is live. The runner is not protected by any rule to anywhere other than the base to which they are forced. R3 is clearly in jeopardy and was retired prior to R1 scoring. 5.5.B.2 is clear on not scoring the run. Even if you want to us 8.5.A, R3 still doesn't score since R1 being ruled out removes the force which provides for the advancement without jeopardy of being put out. That makes the advance an attempted steal and there is no protection of any type there

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 06:53pm.