View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tommyleo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
It's entirely conceivable that Alvarez was taking his place in the on-deck circle to assist R3 (Stanton) with a Slide or Stand Up signal should play warrant it. I believe the rules allow the ODB to serve that purpose.
I considered that, but I could not think of a (likely) play with bases loaded, tie score, and two out in the bottom of the 9th that would warrant an on-deck hitter to assist R3 -- especially when he's on-deck in front of the third-base dugout. R3 would typically score easily if the batter reaches first base safely. And even in the unlikely event of a dribbler in front of the mound (where the pitcher elects to try for the force play at home), R3 will have the entire play in front of him and the on-deck batter couldn't get in position fast enough to assist anyway.

On a WP or PB, the batter guides R3. No help needed from the on-deck batter -- unless (and here's is the ridiculously unlikely scenario)...

A WP barely misses the batter, who falls to the ground and can't get up because he tore something while avoiding the pitch. (Therefore, the batter can't assist the runner, as typically happens during a WP.) The third base coach can't help either because the ball caroms to a spot where the umpire or catcher is blocking the view of the ball of both the runner and that coach. However, the on-deck batter sees the play and can assist the runner. Happens all the time!

OK, so there was indeed an infinitesimal chance that an on-deck batter could have helped R3 there. Still doesn't explain why the deck-batter was swinging a bat.