View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
First... you don't get blocked out. You should be a few steps up the line anyway, and you should anticipate when you see the runner coming in on you and take a step fair or foul. You can't tell us you didn't have time to get anywhere and also tell us that the batter-runner was moving toward the running lane - which is halfway up the line.

Second - if for some reason you are blocked, you use what you know to make the call. Whatever that may be.

One question ... what do you mean that you "hear afterward it's foul"? From whom? From partner? Fix it. From disgruntled coach or idiot fans? Ignore as you would any other nonsense from disgruntled coaches and fans.

That's all fine and dandy IF you have lines. We don't have lines around here. Something about a war on drugs...I don't know.

I have been known to scream at F3/F5 or a base coach to "give me the line" so I can see the ball. If I have to, I will try to move slightly, one way or the other, but the more you move, the more likely you are to make an errant call on a ball near the line.

As you note, you use what you have to determine the call. If I last saw the ball fair, it is most likely to be called fair. OTOH, if a base coach steps into the field because s/he HAS to get a better look at it than I have, that ball may end up being foul

Point is, you have to make a call 'cause you ain't doin' it over. You just do the best you can.