View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehat View Post
Question often comes up and the answer can be clouded with the wording of the numbering exceptions (7-2-5). It seems pretty clear in both exceptions (1,2) that the snapper is not an eligible receiver. But of course this only applies when the offense "sets or shifts into a scrimmage kick formation."

If in a swinging gate formation and there is a player lined up "in scrimmage kick" formation, then the snapper would not be eligbile.(2-14-2)

So, I am thinking of a situation that is not covered in one of the exceptions that would allow the snapper to be eligible...like a normal scrimamge play (regardless of down), no scrimmage kick formation, 5 players #50-79 requirements met, and #23 is on the end of the line, snaps the ball and goes and catches a pass....sounds legal to me... unless I am missing something...in that case my answer would be the same as Rich's...any other thoughts out there?
Does this apply on 4th down or during a try, though? Only the first exception in 7-2-5 says the snapper is ineligible and must be in between the ends. The second exception for 4th down or try does not make this distinction or bar the snapper from being on the end or, by inference, ineligible. It seems that since care was taken to note that on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down that there are restrictions on the snapper, the omission of said restrictions in the exception for 4th down and tries would make it legal.