View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Snapper, not center -- he's not the center of anything in that formation.

It's not going to be specifically covered. He's an end, by rule, and he's eligible by number. Isn't that enough?
Question often comes up and the answer can be clouded with the wording of the numbering exceptions (7-2-5). It seems pretty clear in both exceptions (1,2) that the snapper is not an eligible receiver. But of course this only applies when the offense "sets or shifts into a scrimmage kick formation."

If in a swinging gate formation and there is a player lined up "in scrimmage kick" formation, then the snapper would not be eligbile.(2-14-2)

So, I am thinking of a situation that is not covered in one of the exceptions that would allow the snapper to be eligible...like a normal scrimamge play (regardless of down), no scrimmage kick formation, 5 players #50-79 requirements met, and #23 is on the end of the line, snaps the ball and goes and catches a pass....sounds legal to me... unless I am missing something...in that case my answer would be the same as Rich's...any other thoughts out there?

Last edited by whitehat; Wed Sep 25, 2013 at 10:43am.