View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 17, 2013, 11:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big2Cat View Post
I know this is probably old by now, it's hard to see if he takes a knee, but the endzone shot, slowed down, clearly shows him taking a knee. The fact that the officials blew the play dead acknowledges that--you can hear them. The umpire should have been more urgent spotting the ball. Every umpire knows you speed up a bit under 2 minutes.

The Pac-12 admitted it was wrong. The Big Ten office confirmed it. The officials had a crazy situation and messed up. It happens. But, it should make all of us better next Saturday when something crazy happens to us.
The biggest mistake I see the umpire making is holding up the Wisconsin team from coming to the ball. There was no reason for him to do that based on the mechanics by college umpires at that level in a meeting we had tonight. I am not so sure he even knew why the ASU players were on the ball, nor am I sure he knew how the ball was dead. We tell umpires to not blow their whistle for a reason. I think the Referee could have helped the umpire out by communicating better so that the umpire knew what to do next. Either the Referee or maybe the HL were the only ones that knew how the ball was dead.

And one thing I can almost assure everyone, there will not be a player putting the ball on the ground anytime soon in that situation. This could have happened to any of us and no matter what we would have done someone would have claimed they were screwed. Because if you stop the clock for any reason, then ASU will make the same claim all over the media and it would not matter what the rule is that applies. If you think that is not true, remember the BYU at Washington game where a TD was scored and the QB that scored the TD he flipped the ball high in the air. And what did we do here, rip the officials for applying the clearly stated rule. Either way we cannot win.

Peace