The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 16, 2013, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Again, I am sure I officiate more football games in a year then you coach. And it is not uncommon for players to play despite the whistle being blown. I guess you have players in your games just stop the minute they hear the whistle whether it is a block or even a tackle. You should have seen my game Friday and how many times a whistle was blown and someone how we had to use our voice or blow the whistle as blocks and players were still moving after the whistle. I guess that never happens in any game you have ever been involved in.
It happens all the time, so should I tell them to do so freely? "The officials and your opponents expect you to continue playing after the ball is dead."

I thought the officials were supposed to administer the game, not conform their procedures to what the players do.
Old Mon Sep 16, 2013, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
At the NCAA and NFL level as it relates to a fumble vs ball dead or a backward pass vs a forward pass? Yes, they should still attempt to recover the ball...if the QB hadn't had put his knee down, then by the ASU getting on the top of the ball with a clear recovery, they would have gotten the ball.
Anyway, you do not see a scramble by these players for the ball. Look at the stills, and you can see most of the players of team B standing and waiting for the ball to be RFP. There are just a couple of players ostensibly trying to play the ball, and according to the written acc't, they did so after the U moved into the vicinity.
Old Mon Sep 16, 2013, 09:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
It happens all the time, so should I tell them to do so freely? "The officials and your opponents expect you to continue playing after the ball is dead."

I thought the officials were supposed to administer the game, not conform their procedures to what the players do.
It is obvious that you do not understand or you do not want to understand. Usually only one officials blows the whistle. We do not echo whistles. So if a whistle is at one end of the field, it is likely players for a very brief time do not hear the whistle. So if they are engaged in a block away from the ball, they might continue to block or be engaged. It does not mean they are doing anything cheap, but that is a reality. And often as a Back Judge or Deep Wing we have to communicate to players to stop verbally.

Again, like many things we talk about here, that is something you probably are not aware of as a coach. I know in the middle I can speak to players and coaches have no idea what I have said to them. And some players play on the edge of that whistle to where it could be seen as a foul or close to it.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 16, 2013, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is obvious that you do not understand or you do not want to understand. Usually only one officials blows the whistle. We do not echo whistles. So if a whistle is at one end of the field, it is likely players for a very brief time do not hear the whistle. So if they are engaged in a block away from the ball, they might continue to block or be engaged. It does not mean they are doing anything cheap, but that is a reality. And often as a Back Judge or Deep Wing we have to communicate to players to stop verbally.
Why are you bringing up situations remote from the main action, when that's not what happened here?
Old Mon Sep 16, 2013, 09:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Why are you bringing up situations remote from the main action, when that's not what happened here?
Because the players from ASU reacted as they usually do with a ball on the ground in front of them. That is why the Wisconsin player should not just put the ball down on the ground.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 16, 2013, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Because the players from ASU reacted as they usually do with a ball on the ground in front of them.
But they were not remote from the whistle.
Old Mon Sep 16, 2013, 09:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
But they were not remote from the whistle.
I can tell you are a coach. You think there is this magical thing that happens with a whistle.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 17, 2013, 07:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk314 View Post
You've probably been the most reasonable person on this thread, but what I'm saying is true. Officials mistakes prevented Wisconsin from attempting a game-winning field goal. That's clear, in black and white.
I'm still trying to figure out what answer you are looking for. The officials mishandled the play, the official are being disciplined over the incident. You still haven't said how you discuss this situation in your pre-game.

The officials screwed up. Now, what do you to happen? Do you think someone in this forum has the power to make you happy over what happened?

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 07:23am.
Old Tue Sep 17, 2013, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You hear the whistle, you stop what you're doing and leave the ball on the ground.
So YOU are the coach that keeps doing that. I spend an awful lot of time telling kids to cut that crap out.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 17, 2013, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's been reported upthread that a whistle sounded. This is very interesting: an official saying players should play past the whistle.
You might as well have typed, "I don't know what I'm talking about, please ignore me."

Have you coached ONE game in the NCAA? Based on this post, no.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 17, 2013, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Did anyone look at the video and stills?

I know this is probably old by now, it's hard to see if he takes a knee, but the endzone shot, slowed down, clearly shows him taking a knee. The fact that the officials blew the play dead acknowledges that--you can hear them. The umpire should have been more urgent spotting the ball. Every umpire knows you speed up a bit under 2 minutes.

The Pac-12 admitted it was wrong. The Big Ten office confirmed it. The officials had a crazy situation and messed up. It happens. But, it should make all of us better next Saturday when something crazy happens to us.
Old Tue Sep 17, 2013, 11:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big2Cat View Post
I know this is probably old by now, it's hard to see if he takes a knee, but the endzone shot, slowed down, clearly shows him taking a knee. The fact that the officials blew the play dead acknowledges that--you can hear them. The umpire should have been more urgent spotting the ball. Every umpire knows you speed up a bit under 2 minutes.

The Pac-12 admitted it was wrong. The Big Ten office confirmed it. The officials had a crazy situation and messed up. It happens. But, it should make all of us better next Saturday when something crazy happens to us.
The biggest mistake I see the umpire making is holding up the Wisconsin team from coming to the ball. There was no reason for him to do that based on the mechanics by college umpires at that level in a meeting we had tonight. I am not so sure he even knew why the ASU players were on the ball, nor am I sure he knew how the ball was dead. We tell umpires to not blow their whistle for a reason. I think the Referee could have helped the umpire out by communicating better so that the umpire knew what to do next. Either the Referee or maybe the HL were the only ones that knew how the ball was dead.

And one thing I can almost assure everyone, there will not be a player putting the ball on the ground anytime soon in that situation. This could have happened to any of us and no matter what we would have done someone would have claimed they were screwed. Because if you stop the clock for any reason, then ASU will make the same claim all over the media and it would not matter what the rule is that applies. If you think that is not true, remember the BYU at Washington game where a TD was scored and the QB that scored the TD he flipped the ball high in the air. And what did we do here, rip the officials for applying the clearly stated rule. Either way we cannot win.

Peace