View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Hi Everyone,
Here in B.C. Canada we have just reverted to using NCAA Men's rules at all levels after 25 years of FIBA. The interpretation re: Backover seems to have changed with the exceptions. I understand that on Throw-ins the centre line disappears and anyone can catch the ball while airborne and travel from front court to back with no violation-This is also true for jump ball situations. When the ball is inbounds a pass may be intercepted by the defence while airborne and again the defence can carry it from front to back with no violation. What about the offence?? Why can't they catch a pass thats coming from their back to front court while airborne and go from front to back without violation or is this legal??? What if A1 in the front court is passing to A2,also in the front court, - A2 sees its going to be intercepted -leaps and catcheswhile airborne it and the leap causes him to land in the backcourt.Violation right?? It seems to me that the defence is gaining unfair advantages from these exceptions. What is the call if in the last example A2 catches it airborne but before he lands backcourt B1 creates a held ball while they both are airborne-Do you have a held ball-AP or back over call??? Unfortunately I don't have a case book yet so I need your help!!!!
YIBB
Pistol