Thread: Tobacco
View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... if we notice it yes we can and have the right to penalize such action.
I'm well aware of what the rule is. What I'm saying is that IMO it should not be a game rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
...It is illegal in our state for example to even use tobacco products on any school campus, forget what the rules say to do.
Thank you for making my point. It has nothing to do with the game of football or any other game. It's a school issue, not a game issue.

Weapons are not allowed on school campuses. Should that be a game rule as well? Do we need the frisk everybody on the sideline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
ART. 1 . . . No coach, substitute, athletic trainer or other team attendant shall act in an unsportsmanlike manner once the game officials assume authority for the contest. Examples are, but not limited to:

j. Using tobacco or smokeless tobacco.
k. Being outside the team box, but not on the field. (See 9-8-3)
l. A substitute leaving the team box during a fight.

So pick and choose the ones you enforce??
Where did I say I wouldn't enforce it? I said IMO this is not something an official should have to deal with. It should not be a rule.

It's not unsportsmanlike to put a dip of snuff inside your front lip. I don't do it nor advocate it but if you do, that's your business and the business of your employer.

BTW John, you might not have noticed but K and J are safety rules, not moral or ethical issues as is whether one chooses to use tobacco or not. You're a coach. If you have a fellow coach who uses tobacco, you're the one who should be up his a$$ about it, not me.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith