View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 04, 2013, 07:03pm
This IS My Social Life

What's the Big Deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
... it almost seems like you could have actually called a common foul on this knucklehead. I normally hate the idea of going with a "block" on a flop. It's a copout call, and it's not backed by the rules. But sometimes, like when the flopping player ends up tripping other players, it seems like the right call. ...I'm probably out of line for even bringing it up.
No, Adam (if that's really is your real name ), you're not "out of line" with your well-worded post. Just wondering (not trying to be contentious, by any means--you all know me better than that ) . . . What oh what is so prohibitive about calling this for what it is? I've heard respected officials debate back and forth on this issue and -- and I'm willing to admit there's a lot I don't know -- I don't get it. Observe it happen, judiciously issue a warning, and if the warning isn't heeded then just go ahead and call it according to 10-3-6f. It's only a T. And it solves the problem. How does that impugn the integrity of the official who justifiably calls it? For all the rationalistic gymnastics necessary to call a common foul when a common foul didn't happen, I agree with Adam -- that's a copout. Then again, as rarely as I've seen it occur, I think it must be a regional thing. Flopping doesn't happen all that often around here, it doesn't seem. When it does, the coach usually yells at the kid for his ill-fated attempt to cover up his inadequate defensive skills.

Last edited by Freddy; Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 07:51pm.