View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 25, 2013, 06:13am
Esteemed Forum Member

He Who Hesitates Is Not Only Lost, But Is Miles From The Next Exit ...

I'm not at all familiar with three person mechanics, but I can try to put a two person spin on this (I'm what you call, an expert, in two person mechanics, officiating here in the Land That Time Forgot).

Like BadNewsRef stated, the Lead blew his call. Period. Now, if I'm the Trail here, even knowing the difference between an ant, and an elephant, I'm probably going to hesitate for a split second because it's a call outside of my primary, and I'm probably thinking, "Why did the Lead pass on this play?". There are a lot of different animals along the animal spectrum between an ant, and an elephant. Maybe it was an American Bittern, for example? Maybe that hesitation is a little more than a spit second, and now I'm wondering if it's going to be a late whistle, even though I normally roll with a late whistle being a much better alternative than no whistle. While all this is being processed in my brain (my dendrites, axons, and synapses, don't fire as quickly as they used to), I spot the blue player with the ball, and now I'm thinking, "Good, we caught a break", and, as JetMetFan stated earlier, I pass on the play.

Later, during a break, I'm probably politely asking my partner what he saw on that rebounding play where the blue player fell to the floor. Any observers at the game will ask both of us the same question, and as the proverbs say, we hesitated, and now, we're lost, lost up a creek, without our paddles.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Aug 25, 2013 at 10:08am.