View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 21, 2013, 01:56pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Strasburg also just walked off the field. No argument or nothing.

Point is one was ejected for missing the other wasn't when it was obvious what he was doing.
Obvious to who? You?

Parse what actually happened. In the bottom of the first inning, after Heyward hits a home run, Strasburg hits Upton on the very first pitch he throws to him. Warnings are issued. Why Upton? Who knows. Maybe it's because he hit the walk-off home run the night before, and Harper was hit by an Atlanta pitcher after Harper jacked one.

In the bottom of the second, Strasburg pitches four straight balls to Jordan Schafer. Johnson sends pitching coach McCatty out to talk to Strasburg. His first pitch to Simmons is well outside and in the dirt, allowing Schafer to go to second. The next pitch goes way behind Simmons, and Schafer goes to third. The last pitch he throws, again behind Simmons, allows Schafer to score. On the play, Strasburg runs in to cover home. I don't know about you, but if I'm trying to hit a batter, the last thing I'm going to do after being unsuccessful twice is run toward him while he's still at the plate with the bat in his hand.

Google articles on the Strasburg ejection. There are players on the Braves team that felt Strasburg wasn't trying to hit Simmons. After he hit Upton the previous inning, don't you think that Simmons or other Atlanta players would have said or done something if they felt Strasburg was throwing at him? The fact is, nobody said a word. Nobody barked from the dugout. Nobody trotted in from the bullpen. Nothing.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker